© Copyright Golf Guide 2018
Moortown Golf Club
Moortown has always held a richly deserved reputation as one of the country’s finest Championship Golf courses. Originally designed by Dr Alister MacKenzie, Moortown is set in 175 acres of dramatically contrasting mainly level woodland and moorland.
From the opening par 5 there are many fine holes to enjoy including the new 6th, rated the most difficult, and the famous Gibraltar par 3 10th with its sloping plateau green, the Club’s signature hole.
Typical of all great courses there is a classic finish. With its fairway favouring strategically placed bunkers, the 18th requires two exceptional shots to find the well-guarded green which nestles under the Clubhouse windows.
Moortown Golf Club was formed in 1909 and the present clubhouse was opened in 1915 and by the mid-1920s the course assumed the layout, which was to exist without major alterations for over sixty years. Even in those early days Moortown’s popularity among professionals was growing through the Yorkshire Evening News Professional Tournament, but it was the staging of The Ryder Cup in 1929 which focused the attention of international media on the Club.
There is no doubt that this event was a major factor in establishing Moortown’s world- wide reputation as a Championship golf course together with the course design of Dr Alister MacKenzie. The founders invited Dr MacKenzie to visit the site which he did in October 1908, coming to the conclusion that it would make a fine course and offering to aid the founders in its design.
Moortown Golf Club
0113 268 6521
How to Find
Entrance to the club is immediately after the Shell Petrol Station on A61 (Leeds to Harrogate) about ½ mile north of A6120 between Primley Park View and Sandmoor Lane. Travelling south on A61 make U-turn immediately past Petrol Station located on right hand side of dual carriageway about ½ mile south of Leeds Grammar School. On entry and exit please call the office to open the security barrier.
Courses at Moortown Golf Club
MoortownThe founders were fortunate that in 1908 Dr MacKenzie was in the district having nearly completed the layout at Alwoodley, which was already very popular. He joined they meetings, was elected a Vice-President in 1909, and in 1913 he was Captain. As the Club leased more land, and the holes re-shaped, he continued ...